Monday, August 23, 2010

Ding, Dong, the Bells Are Gonna Chime!

Really, I should've suspected something was up. For the past few weeks Handsome has been unusually frisky and high-spirited. He's been charming and smiley (even more so than normal), affectionate and thoughtful (even more so than normal), and just plain sweet (even more so than normal). Last Saturday he disappeared for two and a half hours with no explanation whatsoever about where he'd been or what he'd been doing. Under intense interrogation he would reveal nothing except to reassure me it had absolutely nothing to do with Russian mail-order brides. Maybe, he hinted, it had something to do with bikes. Ah, yes, of course. Bikes. We just got bikes! And because I wanted so badly to believe that he was out ring shopping, I refused to let myself even consider that as an option, and let it go. Back of the mind, out of sight, adios, door closed. Silly, silly Cheasty.


On Friday he came home from work and said, "Hey guess what. I did some searching on the internets, and I found a restaurant that has a dessert you can actually eat on this cleanse diet thing." (Oh, how this stupid cleanse diet will haunt the rest of my life!)
"Really?" I asked, full of dubiosity. "What is it, a fruit plate?"
"No," he said, "It's a secret surprise. Go on and get dressed!"

I was excited, but completely befuddled. Thinking he might be taking me to a berry patch or a watermelon field, I inquired about wearing my overalls, and should I bring mosquito repellent? Nah, he said. Just wear something cute and comfortable, you'll be fine. So off we drove into the sunset, me still blissfully ignorant. So ignorant I didn't even put on mascara or wear nice shoes or any jewelry. Cause whatevs, you know? It's just dessert at some random place that I still secretly suspected was a watermelon patch.



"You're going to laugh when you see the place I'm taking you," Han said as we drove towards south Austin (cleverly covering his bases).
"Why," I asked. "Is it that epically bad diner we went to a few months ago?"
"You'll see," was all Captain Mysterious would tell me.



I did start to laugh when he pulled in the parking lot of our destination: Paggi House, the restaurant where we'd had our first date, where we'd first clapped eyes on one another. 'Funny,' I thought to myself as we climbed the stairs to their outdoor treehousey patio deck. 'I didn't think he'd bring me here again until he was going to propose. Hmmm. Well, whatever. I wonder what that dessert is?'




We got to the deck and sat down in a semi-private little couchey nook on a wicker sofa, and when the waitress came up to us, Han asked for the dessert menu. She gave us some glasses of water and walked away. I looked at Handsome, and for the first time wondered what was up. Why did he look so jumpy, so tense, so... nervous?



"I have a confession to make," he said then, clearing his throat. "There is no dessert. I made up the dessert because I wanted to get you here, where we first met." And then, dropping to one knee, he took a ring box out of his pocket, opened it, offered it to me, and said, "I wanted to bring you here to ask you if you would please marry me, Cheasty."


I don't really remember a clear sequence of events after that. I know my eyes teared up, I know my hands were trembling with excitement, I know the waitress walked up and almost interrupted Han before she realized what was going on, and backed away slowly, mouthing, "Oh. My. God." I know I kissed him and hugged him and kissed him and hugged him again, I know I said "yes, yes, yes, of course!" and I know people around us figured out what was happening and started applauding. I know the waitress came back with two glasses of champagne on the house and I know I broke the hell out of my diet by drinking the whole thing. I know there was a table full of 20-something girls having drinks nearby and one of them took pictures with her cell phone and mailed me the photos right then and there, so now I have 3 wonderful blurry pictures of right after Handsome popped the question.


I'm getting married this spring to the most wonderful man ever to live on this planet, and I'm the luckiest woman in the world.


P.S. 500 points to anybody who a) recognizes the song from which I took the title of this post, and b) sings the whole thing out loud, right now, wherever you are.

13 comments:

Frank Irwin said...

You know that when someone is being unusually frisky and high-spirited, charming and smiley, affectionate and thoughtful, and just plain sweet, they're up to no good!

Congrats, Cheasty!

Unknown said...

Is it from Meet Me in St. Louis? :-) Cheasty, congrats again to you both and Paggi House was your first date place? That's awesome!! I had another place in mind. I'm now tearing up with happy tears for you both. :-)

Anonymous said...

The song is from "My Fair Lady." No worries my dear, we'll be sure to get you to the church on time!!!


Blessings upon you both.

Looking forward to lots of taffeta!!

Tee hee!!!!


- Stéph

Virginias29 said...

Austin or NC?

Jerry said...

What a great story!! And I love that some random stranger thought to take pictures for you! How wonderful! Congratulations to you both! And, way to go to Mr. Handsome for making the proposal special! Congratulations!

Doc said...

Congrats, girl! I'm so happy for you two. And way to go Handsome!

Anonymous said...

I'm getting married in the morning,
Ding, Dong, the bells are going to chime!
Pull out the stopper!
Let's have a whopper!
But get me to the church on time!
I've got to be there in the morning,
Spruced up and looking in my prime!
Girls come and kiss me,
Show me how you'll miss me,
But get me to the church on time!
If I am dancing, roll out the floor,
If I am whistling, whisk me out the door
For I'm getting married in the morning,
Ding, dong, the girls are going to chime!
Kick up a rumpus,
Don't loose the compass
And get me to the church,
Get me to the church,
For God's sake get me to the church on time!

I could go on, but I'll stop there. Congrats, Cheasty!

catchya prowlin'...
prrsss...alicat

Jenna said...

Oh what an awesome story! I love it that you have pictures! I love it that you're getting MARRIED! I can't wait to see you in person and gush some more- I'm just so so so happy for you! Too bad his last name isn't Pants though. :)

Lauren said...

So... Whatever happened with the watermelon patch?!

I am excited to dance and celebrate with you two as you launch your crazy lives together. Yea!!

Brown said...

Congratulations Cheasty!!!

Unfortunately, I don't have much of a singing voice. I suppose I could do interpretive dance instead?

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to get engaged! I wish I had thought to be so creative and romantic when I proposed to your Mom- and with pictures to boot!

We are so very excited and happy for you both- and we think you go together like peas and carrots!

(Kristin's) Pop and Mom

Cheasty said...

Thanks for all the congratulations, everybody. We're over the moon about the whole thing. Basically all I've done is wedding research for the past few days. Ah, dissertation, I promise I'll get back to you soon, but for now, venues! dresses! color schemes!

Props to those who named MFL, special points for you few brave singers, and an AMAZING SHOUT-OUT to my Dad, who, though long a loyal reader, just posted a comment for the first time in two years. Hooray, Pop. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

So happy for you two!! Can't wait to [finally] meet my soon-to-be-brother-in-law! Congratulations to you both!


The Fairy King & Sweet Baby Face