Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Prayers, Please.

Yesterday I got the kind of phone call you hope never to get, the kind where the caller doesn't say until WAY too late that the person in question isn't dead. "Um, hi, listen, I've got some bad news. So you know how hot it's been here, and Dad's been working too hard outside and his heart started racing and he got way overheated and then... (pause, pause, my stomach falls out of my body) ..."

So I feel really shaky and terrified, because even after I realized that Crasey wasn't saying that Dad was dead, she was just saying that he's in the hospital, I still can't come down off the shock and adrenaline and panic. At first they thought it was just heat stroke and exhaustion, but it's become clear that he's much much sicker than that. He's got sepsis, which is an infection that gets into the blood and totally fucking terrifying to Google. I know he's in hospital and getting good health care, but jesus christ, this is scary. Dad is never sick. He's SuperDad. And the doctors have no idea what's making him sick, so they're just running endless tests and trying to control the symptoms.

Thank God I'm with my girls right now, because when I got off the phone and started sobbing like a baby, they just sat there and hugged me and didn't try to calm me down. The wonder of old friends is that they've already seen you lose your shit, and they know how to let you do it again.

So I've cancelled my trip to Minneapolis and tomorrow I fly back to Austin, repack my bags, and head back to NC to take care of Bug and help Mom, Crasey, and the Fairy King try and keep things running smoothly. Keep us in your thoughts, please.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're sending lots & lots of love and positive thoughts from Austin to you and your family. Wish I could be there to give you a big hug but glad your girlfriends were there to give you as many as possible.

Anonymous said...

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Fer said...

That happened to my father last summer. He had Never been sick! It turns out it was a kidney infection from very large kidney stones. The good news is that once they figured out what was wrong with him, he did get better. He was unconsious in the ICU for a full week! He is doing well now. So, I want to I just want to let you know that people can come back from this. Take care best wishes to you.

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for you and your dad and the rest of your family.

Captain Judy said...

Cheasty! Sending many good thoughts to you and your family. SuperDad will be back to super strength in no time!!!

Watermyth said...

Cheasty,

Positive thoughts and healing vibrations headed your dad's way.

A similar thing happened to my father a few years ago while he was hiking in the desert. He passed out and went into septic shock. At first he was pretty much in a coma and most of his organs stopped working, except his heart and brain.

It took awhile (six weeks or so) but slowly everything begun to work again. Today he is doing fine.

I guess my point is that the human body has an amazing capacity for regeneration. And, as I am sure you know, love has stupendous healing properties.

Anonymous said...

I will be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Kate

Matter Of Fact Mommy said...

thinking happy, healthy thoughts!

poohito scientist said...

sending lots of health towards superdad! good to be with family!

H-SPO said...

i am thinking of you and missing you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you were able to make it home quickly to be with your family- what a scary phone call to get. We're thinking of your dad and your family, hoping he's back to wearing his superdad cape soon!

Sam Marie said...

much much love and many warm and healthy thoughts and vibes being sent your way from all of austin and NC. suerte to the family and the superdad!

Unknown said...

Wishing your Dad a speedy recovery.