Today I'm worn down. I'm tired. My head is so crammed with historical information that I can't filter any of it. Ask me a question, right now, and I guarantee you the answer will have nothing to do with whatever it was you asked me about. Here's an example: Hey, Cheasty, what did you have for dinner? Answer: Political liberalism. No, wait! I meant to say nation-building. Yes, that's it. Nation-building. Poor Umulu asked me to gossip and bemoan a particular situation with her and all I could do was stare stupidly and drool. I'm not a good sister. I just want to crawl up in a ball and hide for a while. And then when I come out from hiding I want this all to be over. Poof!
This, however, is not my fantasy life, so I've decided instead to take a few minutes to meditate on the finer things in life. Things that always make me smile, or laugh, or just have a warm fuzzy feeling. I tried uploading some of my favorite photographs to go with it, but Blogger is once again making life difficult by not loading pictures (grrrrrr) so I'm going to go with mental images instead.
Just a Few of the Things That Make Me Happy:
1. The bright and exceptional green of the first leaves of springtime.
2. Really loud burps and farts. It may be juvenile, but I think they're hysterical. Also, I laugh every time somebody says the word "duty."
3. Dancing. One of my favorite places to go dancing in Austin is The Broken Spoke, this run-down old honky-tonk on the South side of town, but I love it all. Country swing, salsa, two-step, waltz, merengue, dancing-crazy-in-my-bedroom dance, whatever. Dancing makes me happy.
4. Mom's homemade mac and cheese. Can't nobody beat it. And I mean NOBODY, so no comments saying "oh, you've never had MY mom's mac and cheese," cause it'd be a dirty lie.
5. My dad sticks his tongue out the side of his mouth whenever he's concentrating.
6. Wine, wine, wine. (num, num, num)
7. Puppies, flowers, kittens, babies, the smell of homemade bread. All those corny things I'm kind of embarrassed to put up there, but hell. Corny or not, they really do make me happy.
8. Old-fashioned bikes, especially when people in snazzy outfits ride them.
9. My Mom's first hug when I walk in the door after being gone for a long time. Wow, that lady loves me.
10. Toe-tapping live music. On a perfect sunny day. While eating corn on the cob. And fresh basil and tomatoes. Wearing a really cute sundress. At a party with all my good friends. After I won a million dollars.
So what about y'all?